Saturday, May 8, 2010

Confessions goes to Germany

As I write this, I am attending the annual International Focusing Conference in the Black Forest of Germany.

I have just given a presentation about childhood trauma. I wasn’t sure how it was going to go. I knew I planned to read from my book to illustrate how lost memories surface. And I knew I wanted them to hear about the actual breaking through of my awareness of sexual abuse at the hands of my father and grandfather.But I wasn’t prepared for how moving and moved the participants would be.

In the room there were of course Germans, then Greeks, Italians, one Palestinian, Brits, Netherlanders, French, Spanish, Belgians and many other nations represented. Most of these countries are just beginning to deal with the presence of child abuse in their societies. The recent sexual abuse charges against the Roman Catholic church here in Germany has stirred awareness of the prevalence of child sexual abuse.

After my reading, no one spoke. There was absolute silence for many minutes. I looked around the room. The eyes were closed or they sat pensively staring at a spot on the floor. I could only assume that each person was having his or her personal experience touched off by my very honest disclosures.

This was one more step in sending Confessions of A Trauma Therapist out into the world to plant whatever seeds find fertile soil. That’s what I wish for my book: to be heard and taken in by those who need to hear my message.

Today’s presentation felt like one more small step to reach out and help our world deal effectively with this crime against children.

No comments:

Post a Comment