Saturday, May 1, 2010

The first book signing

I was still on a high from Wednesday evening’s amazing book launch when I walked into the scene of the annual conference of Canada’s EMDR therapists on Friday. Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing is a trauma treatment I describe in Confessions of a Trauma Therapist.

Loaded down with cloth shopping bags of books, I made my way from the parking lot to the scene of the conference. I could hear the speaker at the morning session winding down in the large ballroom to my left. I set myself up at the table which was positioned to catch people as they left the session and settled in to sell and autograph my books. Through the impressive doors of the ballroom, I heard the microphone saying there was somebody selling books or something outside the door. She’d been asked to announce it. Wrong name, nothing about my book, not even the title or the relevance to the conference.

The participants flooded out from the morning session. Most didn’t even notice me sitting there trying to look friendly. A few stared with curiosity, then decided it was nothing that concerned them. The only books I sold and signed were to people I already knew and who intended to buy my book anyway.

Oh well, live and learn. It’s the sort of experience that keeps us humble.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to scout out this book here in CO! Congratulations on your book launch. What an accomplishment, Mary! All the best to you!
    ~Erlen Marsh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Erlen: Lovely to hear from you. You can order the book on Amazon if you don't already have it. Sorry to be so slow in replying to your message, but I've only recently learned how to handle comments. Frank is my web guru teaching an old dog new tricks. Let me know when you've read the book - any comments or thoughts you have.
    Love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete