Saturday, April 24, 2010

Three days until launch day

It’s three days until my book launch for Confessions of a Trauma Therapist: A Memoir of Healing and Transformation.

Talk about telling the world! In it, I tell everything about how I recovered my lost childhood memories of incest.

Let me tell you, it’s much easier to tell the world than to tell one’s own family.

Of course, I had to alert my family to the fact that I was publishing a book about having been sexually abused by my father and his father, our dignified old grandfather.

I sent the letter to my sister, her children and their children, the youngest of whom is 19. In it, I tried to explain why I was revealing such unsavory family secrets.

I said: “I have written the book with the goal of encouraging other survivors of child sexual abuse. I want to help professionals and anyone else wanting to understand the victim’s struggles with trauma-based shame and betrayal.”

“This letter will stir some strong feelings in you. I want to hear from you when you’re ready.”

More in the next post about the fallout from my letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment